Re: Netatalk wire speed

Subject: Re: Netatalk wire speed
From: Radar O'Reilly (nathan.willard@yale.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 08:01:16 EST

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Gregg Healy wrote:

> My G4 can sustain over 5mb/sec. Limited I think by the HD in my Linux system
> but I havent had the money to test it.
>
> There must be some kind of cable or incompatibility problem? Even a slow
> 10/mb connection can do 10mb/min.

Ah-cha. I've had the same problem observed here transferring files from my 7500
(YellowDog CS 1.2.1) to my 7200 (MacOS 8.6), which started after I upgraded
netatalk lo those eons ago, and hasn't really gone away. At the same time, I've
been having the same good luck as everyone else at work, with the 1.5
prerelease on my RH 7.0 machine. I never did track down what was causing it,
but this was the only time that there was any speed issue with either machine.
I wound up ftping the files in question, if memory serves me correctly.

Anyhoo, just wanted to let the man know he wasn't the only one to have observed
this.

 __________/| Nathan "Radar" Willard MC '00 | "A Sucking Chest Wound is
(_|__|_____\|________ PO Box 203927 | nature's way of telling
     |_|_____________)- New Haven, CT 06520 | you to slow down."